the story room

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Learning from my mom

This past week my mom has been recovering from an appendectomy (she's doing really well now, though!) and my dad has been away working, so I've been helping out with things at home. My responsibilities have included taking care of my younger brothers (including making time just to spend time with them, making them feel special and loved), doing grocery shopping, cleaning the house, and keeping up with the family's laundry. Even though it's been hard work, I've enjoyed being able to take care of my mom and help my family out.

I've also learned a lot through this experience.

Since I was young I've always been pretty helpful around the house, but it wasn't until this week that I realized how much it takes to maintain a household. It's almost scary that no matter how many loads of laundry are washed in a day, there's always more to do the next morning, and no matter how clean the house is at the end of the day, it doesn't take long before it needs to be cleaned all over again (if I ever doubted the law of entropy before, I certainly believe in it now!). And wow...money sure goes fast even when it's spent wisely and on necessary items. Even though I've experienced all this on a much smaller scale when it comes to taking care of myself, I am now very aware of how much it's magnified when it comes to taking care of a 6-member family.

I've been learning a lot through this experience.

For one thing, my respect and appreciation for my parents (especially my mom) has skyrocketed. I realize how much I take for granted all the little things they do to keep our household running smoothly, and how little they demand our appreciation, let alone even our recognition or acknowledgement.

It makes me want to be more like my mom. By spending this week in her shoes I have been able to not just witness her selflessness -- I've also come to experience what it takes to give so generously and love in such a way that I care about the needs of others as if they were my own, even if it means sacrificing. (I've also learned that my mom does a much better job at this than I do, and that I have a lot to learn, still!)

If I'm ever blessed with a family of my own to take care of, I hope that I can serve them like my mom serves us. And until then, I pray that I can learn to live like my mom, giving and loving like her (and like Jesus).