the story room

Saturday, November 13, 2004

Pensive: Characterized by deep or melancholy thoughts

I stopped by my prof's office on Thursday to grade some papers, and we were visiting for a couple minutes beforehand. We were talking about a book I had read, and he stopped and said, "You seem pensive today...what's up?"

I mentioned some things that were on my mind, and we talked about them and moved on to other things (after I asked him to define 'pensive' for me!). But I've been thinking about it still...and I realize that sometimes I just get this way. Sometimes it's brought about by legitimate things going on, and sometimes it happens when circumstances are great.

I don't know why I get that way, but every so often, I find myself being quiet for no reason. Sometimes I just get pensive. I used to get frustrated with myself because I can never really help it, but I'm learning now just to go with it because it's part of who I am.

Still, I can't help but wonder why I get this way...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're not alone on this one, erin. i get the same way (just look at the varying moods of my blog for examples :) ). there are those times where things may be great, but i would much rather wander around downtown thinking than talk.

i say we blame it on our genius. :)

15 November, 2004 12:47  
Blogger Unknown said...

oops. i posted as "anonymous." it was me...

15 November, 2004 12:57  
Blogger Erin Marshalek said...

I'm glad I'm not alone in it. It's crazy...I generally have a very even temperment (it's hard to rile me up much one way or another), except for that whole pensive thing.

I'm totally with you about preferring to take a walk and think as opposed to always being with people. I love people, but draw my strength from being alone and quiet.

Are you an introvert, too, Matt?

15 November, 2004 23:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home