the story room

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Anna's a Prophetess

My good friend, Anna, has been saying for over a year now that I'd go with her to Calvin Seminary in Grand Rapids. For the past year, I've been telling her she's wrong.

Earlier this past week, I went up to Grand Rapids, MI with Anna and Amanda to check Calvin out. I had heard a lot of good things about it from various people, but I have to admit that I wasn't expecting to fall in love with it. In fact, to be perfectly honest, I basically expected to be downright intimidated.

I should learn by now that my initial thoughts/impressions are usually wrong. ;-)

I completely fell in love with Calvin Sem. I met some very warm and helpful people, got a lot of questions answered, walked through the seminary building, and found myself amazed at how much I loved the place. I was impressed both with their academic work and the enviornment. Even prices are do-able (though still challenging!).

I guess I fought it so hard for a couple reasons. The first is that I didn't want to go there just because that is where most of our pre-sem students go (though I found out that's not even really the case). The other reason is that at first, I wasn't sure I wanted to be part of a CRC seminary. I've been realizing in the past couple months, though, that my theology is definitely genuinely reformed. It's not like I'm going to call myself CRC (I'm having a hard time affiliating myself with any denomination right now), but I do love the theology. Trinity would be so proud of me: I have a reformed worldview! What's neat, though, is that it wasn't at all something pushed on me. As I've been a student here at Trin, I've been honestly seeking God, and this is where He's been leading me.

Amanda and I were talking on the ride home and she said that for the first time, thoughts of life after Trinity aren't dark and scary anymore; there's a way that seems illumined, and it's exciting. I echo that.

I'm still going to keep praying and seeking God, but this is something I'm really excited about...and something I have a lot of peace about, too. I'm looking forward to what's ahead...

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

we all miss your blogging, erin. don't disappoint your loyal fans...

15 February, 2005 11:35  
Blogger Seraphim said...

Erin, Calvin Sem, is it a calvinist seminary?

LYS

I'shalom

02 March, 2005 08:01  
Blogger Erin Marshalek said...

Hey, Seraphim-

Yeah, Calvin would be a Calvinist seminary. It's from the Christian Reformed tradition. They're not hardcore scary about it, though. :)

LY2B.

02 March, 2005 11:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home